Monday, April 30, 2012

The Mission

This video was shown at my Dad's church a couple of Sundays ago and a quote from it has stuck with me and has had me looking at my own life as a "Trader". The quote was "The place where you live doesn't make you a missionary, the mission you are on makes you a missionary" We are all called to spread the gospel where God has us and sends us. Our mission field is wherever we are at the present moment. We  talk a lot about going out of the country or state to get out of our comfort zones when in reality all you have to do is step out of your own routine life, pulling out the earphones, putting down the cellphone, and just asking a random someone how their day is. It's just realizing you aren't here for YOU but for Christ and being on mission for him means being vulnerable and willing to say, do, and go. I was reading about a woman and her calling to inner-city missions. She was scared to death of the inner-city, so she avoided it as much as possible. One day sitting at a coffee shop(her favorite place to go and be) she felt a great conviction. She started realizing her fear and how maybe it was God calling her out of her comfort zone. She was letting the fear control and hinder the mission God had for her. I love this quote from her
"It is no longer the inner-city that I fear, but the coffee shop that keeps me away from actually knowing first hand the Lord's heartbeat. I met Christ in the coffee shops, Christ met me among the least of these"
Check out, Matthew 25:31-46. Christ didn't hang out with the cool people he went out and to places we would never think of going. He didn't put us here on earth to just lay back in our lazyboys and be comfortable. We are supposed to feel uncomfortable. This world isn't our home. We are only temporary residents as 1 Peter 2:11 clearly states. Why would we want to waste the time God has us here on earth for our own well being and desires. If we are truly called by God than why aren't we moving and living for Him and really analyzing our lives and making THAT change. Obedience will ALWAYS require something of you. He will require you to give up what you want for what He wants. Like when you were a kid and your parents asked you to do something. Obeying required you to come off your pride and do something you don't really want to do, but the outcome from obeying, either ended in a nice clean room or a life lesson learned and wisdom gained.  God only wants our best and and wants to use us, we just need to be willing to be humble vessel's for His service and glory.

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath. We are merely shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth. Not knowing who will spend it. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My hope is in YOU." ~Psalms 39:4-7

Looking at my own life, I am as guilty when it comes to getting all wrapped up in my own plans, desires, and dreams and losing sight of the real purpose for why I am here. I have found that by setting my goal as Christ and living for Him that He will reveal to me His plans for my life that waaaay surpass any dreams, plans, or hopes I ever had for my life. It's daily asking God to reveal His plans to you for the day and to use you, rather than asking God to use YOUR plans. It is radically surrendering your heart to a Savior who will blow your mind and use your life in ways you can't imagine! I praise God for allowing me to experience some of my own plans to better appreciate the plans He has for this life he has given me. I am blessed to be where I am at today and always learning something new about myself through following my Savior as He takes me through the thick and thin. I am blessed to have a family that is always there helping guide along this crazy adventure called life. I have much to be thankful for and many trials and hard times to look forward to, and I can truly say that out of excitement because it brings me to a new understanding and deeper molding by Christ. The hard times are a beautiful thing!

So yeah just a lot I have been thinking on over the past few weeks. We serve an Awesome Savior! I am excited to be on this Mission he has for this life He has given me. It's letting go, stepping out, and letting God use your life :-)

"God has to be in charge of the details if He is going to be in charge of the overall design"




2 comments:

  1. Very insightful and thought-provoking, my dear daughter. It has given much to ponder for myself.

    ReplyDelete