Sunday, January 22, 2017

Finding Equal Ground and Respect as Moms

I am a Stay at Home Mom, I was not robbed of my dreams, my future, or my goals in life. I am daily living them out and watching them soar. 

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." Neil Postman, The Disappearance of childhood

The world tells us to live our dreams, achieve our goals, and the measure of a person is that of their achievements and of their successes. "Children will just slow you down." "Make the most of your life without kids because when you have them, your life is over". I hate to break it to you, but having a child is the beginning of the best life you will ever have! Exhausting yes, and self sacrificing, yes, but oh so worth it!

I am a stay at home mom(SAHM). I may not have the most money in the world, I may not have seen a great majority OF the world, I may not be able to sleep in, stay up late and party the night away, I may not have gone to college, I may not have experienced all the world has to offer, BUT, I get to hold my whole world in my arms each night and wake up to my future each day. My children are my greatest achievement, THEY are my future, THEY are the message I want to send to the rest of the world that I may never see. 

Does being a stay at home Mom make me feel like a lesser person? Some days, yes. The world has yet to realize the blood, sweat, and tears that go into being a stay at home mom. We are beaten down and made to feel lesser of a woman because we aren't out working and adding to our family's income. We are beaten down and made to feel lesser of a woman by those that think we aren't able to educate our children properly and socially. We are beaten down to feel lesser of a woman because we have chosen to forsake our careers and raise our children. This is the part that most working mom's do not see and the truth that many working mom's do not hear about being a SAHM. Being a SAHM is not only physically and mentally draining but also emotionally draining. We daily have to battle the definition of a Mom in the world's eyes. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against working moms. I have the utmost respect for them. I just wish the world had as much respect for SAHMs as it does for working moms. We have chosen to swim against the current and the harder and harder it gets as the journey goes. 

This subject has been heavy on my heart, so I decided to tweak my original blog from one dedicated to my son and his special journey to one of our whole family's special journey as we raise our boys and travel down this ever winding road of parenthood/motherhood. It is meant to be an encouragement to other fellow SAHMs, special needs moms, and mom's in general because motherhood is hard, but we moms are strong enough to handle it most days and we do need encouragement and need to stick together. We all need to know that we are loved, respected, and important.  

To you SAHM, I say this, we may be beaten down for our choice of forsaking our careers or not going to college and pursuing being a stay at home Mom as your dream job. You are not lesser of a woman. You are raising your future. You have one of the most important jobs in the whole world, considering it is the hardest job. Don't be beaten down by the worlds standards of a Mom. Be encouraged by God's great calling on your life. 

To you working moms, don't be discouraged and feel like a lesser Mom because you have to work to help provide for your family. You are important! I respect you and know it is heart wrenching to have to leave your child each day and to miss out on many things, but know that what you are doing is respected. I wish that everyone that desires to stay home with their child could, but I know that in many cases that isn't possible. I don't take for granted my being able to and I'm thankful that I can. It does not make you any lesser of a Mom in any case. Motherhood is a hard road with many different twists and turns but we are all headed in the same direction, that of raising our children to be the best they possibly can be. May we all respect and encourage each other on this journey. Much Love to You All! 
   


No comments:

Post a Comment